Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science
Aiming to create a sustainable society, in harmony with the environment, our goal is to develop personnel who contribute to our world through studying life sciences, environmental design, food and agriculture.
Dean of the Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science, Professor Hiroo Fukuda
Climate change is the most pressing problem of our time. The need to realize a vision of human society where we live in harmony with our bio-environment has become a common goal around the world. Advanced nations, including Japan, are concerned with a low birthrate and ageing population, and our collective health has become a keyword with greater focus.
The Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science aims to offer solutions by approaching the issues of “environment” and “health” from the perspectives of life sciences, environmental design, food and agriculture.
Our Faculty is based at our Kameoka campus, which features abundant nature, biodiversity and agriculture. We believe this is the best environment for education and research of bio-environment. We conduct projects that address original product development, including production, processing and sales of agricultural products in collaboration with people engaged in local agriculture and food processing. We aim for our students to acquire practical and professional ability related to our bio-environment, and learn how it is utilized in the society.
What You Can Study at the Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science
With Three Departments Approaching Bio-environment from Various Perspectives, We Accept the Challenge of Advanced Research.
We pursue the advanced fields of bio-environment with three departments. The Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology investigates the functions of life at the molecular level. The Department of Bioenvironmental Design aims to understand and utilize living organisms and their activities in the environment. Finally, the Department of Agriculture and Food Technology offers practical studies on the production of agricultural products and food processing. Various research laboratories challenge the realization of “Bio-environments” through their own perspectives from academic pursuits at the micro level, as well as practical research requiring a broad perspective.
Our educational goals are to bring up students that, through the study of life sciences, environmental design, food, and agriculture, contribute to our changing world by aiming to create a sustainable society. We seek students whose goals are aligned to these educational objectives. This describes students who can study with strong motivation and independence and who are equipped with the basic academic abilities acquired through their high school curriculum. We are looking for students with the power to utilize those basic academic abilities, in addition to possessing strong communication skills.
- Knowledge and skills
- We seek students who have the basic academic abilities to acquire knowledge of and techniques for the specialized fields of the Faculty of Bioenvironmental Science.
- Ability to think, to judge, and to express oneself
- We seek students who are interested in, and have a willingness to observe, understand, and clarify nature and natural phenomena. We are also looking for students that can express their thoughts regarding these phenomena.
- Attitude toward learning independently and in cooperation with a wide variety of people
- We seek students who can both study independently and also have a strong willingness to participate in practical, cooperative coursework, including regional partnerships. Finally, we are looking for students that want to be a part of modern society, and have the desire to improve their English (and other) language skills to accomplish this.