Here are the most common questions asked by international students. Click on the category that best matches your concern. If your question is not answered on this page, please contact the International Admissions Office.
For questions related to the admission process, please see How to Apply pages of Admission & Aid section.


What kind of English programs does KUAS offer?

We currently offer engineering programs taught entirely in English.
In addition, two new English programs, Bioenvironmental Sciences International Program and Global Business and Economics program, will open in 2025.

Is there a graduate program?

Yes, we offer master’s and doctoral programs at the Graduate School of Engineering. Please see our Graduate Program page for details.

Do you offer an online degree program? Or, are you planning to offer an online degree program?

Not at the moment.

What month is enrollment?

Enrollment for all of our English programs takes place in September.

What degrees can I earn at KUAS?

The degrees available to students of KUAS are as follows:
Engineering: Bachelor of Engineering, Master of Engineering, Ph.D. in Engineering
Bioenvironmental Sciences*: Bachelor of Science (Bio Environment)
Global Business and Economics*: Bachelor of Business Administration
*These programs will open in 2025.

What are the durations of each program?

The durations for each program are as follows:
Bachelor’s Program: 4 years
Master’s Program: 2 years
Doctoral Program: 3 years

I am studying engineering at another university. Is there any option to transfer to KUAS?

Generally, KUAS does not allow students to transfer from other universities, as our programs are highly specialized and all undergraduate students study their specialized courses and intensive Japanese courses at the same time. Therefore, students who wish to transfer from a different program are generally required to “start over.”

My background is not in engineering (e.g., medicine, chemistry), and I do not have work experience. Is it still possible to be accepted to the Graduate School of Engineering?

Please consult with your potential research supervisor through e-mail and discuss your topic of research. We do not place any limitations on application based on a student’s academic background. Moreover, we are open to students who can bring enthusiasm and fresh ideas from outside our own areas of research. However, first we will need to find out if engineering is really the field for you, and whether you are well-suited to studying at KUAS.

I am currently studying engineering at university and considering graduate studies. However, when checking the KUAS website, I was unable to confirm whether I could study my field (e.g., civil engineering, aeronautical engineering, etc.) at the KUAS Graduate School of Engineering. What should I do?

Please consult with your potential research supervisor by e-mail and ask whether your field of engineering can be studied at KUAS.

Do I need a computer for class?

Classes in the Faculty of Engineering are conducted using personal laptops. Therefore, all students are required to bring their own laptops. The recommended specifications for laptops are as follows:

Minimum Specs Recommended Specs
CPU Intel Core i5 8th gen or newer AMD Ryzen series 5 4rd gen or newer e.g., Core i5-8250 U, Ryzen5 5500U Intel Core i5 10th gen or newer AMD Ryzen serious 5 4rd gen or newer ex. Core i5-10300H, Ryzen5 5625U
Memory 8 GB More than 16 GB
HDD 240 GB SSD 512 GB+ SSD
LAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n
(External or integrated)
IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Screen Resolution Greater than 1920 x 1080 Greater than 1920 x 1080
(non-glare matte screen recommended)
Other Microphone, camera
(external or integrated)
Microphone, camera (Integrated)

What type of facilities do you have? What equipment is available to students?

Our campuses are equipped with a wide array of facilities for students to use for their studies and research. For more information about the facilities in the Engineering Building and Bioenvironmental Building, please see their respective facility pages in the Academics section.
If you would like to know if we have a specific type of equipment, please contact us.

What sets KUAS apart from other well-known universities in Japan?

Our programs have two major advantages over other institutions.
-Exceptional Career Opportunities-
We strongly believe that many educational institutions, including some of the most prestigious universities in the world, do not provide students with career-critical skills or sufficient professional guidance. At KUAS, we provide our students with the fundamental training and real-life experience needed to succeed through hands-on learning and our unique industrial collaboration program. When our students near graduation, we call upon our expansive network of industry connections and a professional team of internship and career guidance counselors to ensure that students have every advantage possible when beginning their careers.
-Acquisition of Japanese Language-
KUAS does not require students to have Japanese language skills to apply. All major specialized courses are taught in English. At the same, all international students are provided with intensive Japanese language courses to expand their career opportunities in Japan.

What makes your engineering program more attractive than programs at other Japanese universities?

Compared to other comprehensive universities that may have dozens of departments that all serve different social and academic goals, our university is uniquely Engineering-centric, with our new Faculty of Engineering acting as our core program around which our school’s identity is formed. Engineering is what we are good at, and that is what we have decided to focus on as our “niche.”

How deep is the synthetic approach of the engineering curriculum?

Our Faculty of Engineering houses the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Systems Engineering, which primarily covers fields related to motors and actuators. The chairman of our university is also the CEO of a major Japanese electric motor company. Thus, we focus on the fields related to that industry.
In our Faculty of Engineering, students study 13 fields related to motors and actuators while also taking into account the production processes and products which utilize those technologies.
Students thereby gain the skills required to become a specialist in motors and actuators. Students who wish to deepen their understanding of the fields related to mechatronics are encouraged to continue their studies in our Graduate School of Engineering.
In our graduate school, students can focus on four different fields: materials, energy, information and systems, which are also related to mechatronics.

Student Life

What is student housing like?

First-year students will be given the opportunity to live in our International Student Dormitories. The dorms are located on or near KUAS Uzumasa Campus making for a very convenient commute. In the near future, a new international dormitory will be available near the Kameoka Campus.
Those who wish to live off-campus will find a wealth of private apartments a short walk, bicycle or subway ride away. The staff at KUAS will be happy to assist you in finding these apartments, and more information can be provided before your arrival in Japan upon request. For more information about the dormitories, please see the Dormitory Information page.

Does the dormitory meal service provide vegetarian/halal foods?

(The food service providers at) KUAS will try its best to meet the diverse dietary needs of our students. Students with particularly strict dietary needs are encouraged to contact the KUAS International Office ahead of time so that possible accommodations can be considered.
KUAS’ catering service can provide meals that include no pork, beef, chicken, or animal fat/oils – but will include fish, seafood, eggs and dairy.

Are there any housing options other than the dormitories?

Kyoto is famous for being a college town, and there are many apartments, shared houses, and boarding houses to choose from outside of campus. If you do not wish to live on campus, you will need to find a place to live through a real estate agency, etc. KUAS will help you connect with these agencies.

On average, how much does an apartment near the university cost?

The average rent for an apartment near campus is 35,000-70,000 JPY per month. Please note that rates differ depending on location, room size and other factors.

Is Japan a safe country?

In terms of measurable safety indicators, Japan is frequently rated as one of the safest countries in the world. The Economist Intelligence Unit named Tokyo and Osaka the top ranked safest cities in the world in 2019. Moreover, Kyoto is also well-known as one of the safest cities in our already-safe country.

What is the cost of living in Japan?

The cost of living in Japan is, on average, much lower when compared to North America, Australia, and Europe. Furthermore, in comparison to Tokyo, Kyoto’s cost of living is even more affordable. Students in Japan enjoy many benefits, including socialized student health insurance and discounted meals on campus. Most importantly, university tuition fees in Japan are only a fraction of those in the US, Australia or Europe. All of these factors make student life in Japan far more accessible than you may expect.

How much are living expenses in Kyoto?

Average living expenses in Kyoto are typically about 110,000 JPY per month.

Monthly living expense sample
Accommodation (off-campus) 60,000 JPY
Food 35,000 JPY
Personal expenses* 15,000 JPY
Total 110,000 JPY

*Excluding book expenses for classes.

Can I have a part-time job in Japan?

If you apply for and receive “permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted” from the Immigration Bureau, you can work part-time at convenience stores, restaurants, etc. According to Japanese law, students can work up to 28 hours per week.

Can I work on campus?

Most undergraduate students will easily find work off-campus. However, if you do not know Japanese, then you may have to wait for about a year to learn the language first. If you are a graduate student, there may be opportunities on campus for you to work as a Teaching Assistant (TA).

Does KUAS offer Teaching Assistant (TA) or Research Assistant (RA) opportunities?

Depending on the professors, there will be Teaching Assistant (TA) and Research Assistant (RA) opportunities for graduate students.


Do you offer visa support?

The KUAS International Admissions Office will assist you in acquiring a COE (Certificate of Eligibility), which you can then take to the Japanese consulate or embassy in your country to apply for a visa.
Once an applicant has been accepted to our program, they will be instructed to submit all information required for their visa application directly to KUAS.
To ensure that you receive your COE on time, please be sure to submit all documents and payments on or before their deadlines, including all documents which prove your financial solvency.

How much money do we need to have in our bank account in order to receive a COE?

We highly recommend that students are able to demonstrate their financial capacity to support their studies at KUAS through their income and bank account etc. If they are receiving scholarships, then they can deduct that amount from the amount required.

What will happen to my Japanese visa after I graduate?

When a company employs you after graduation, they will assist you in obtaining a work visa. They will begin this process after offering you a job. Japanese working visas are usually one-year, three-year, or five-years in duration, and depend on the company you work for.


What career opportunities can KUAS provide?

The facilities at KUAS include a Career Development Center that works closely with all students to acquire satisfactory employment following their graduation. They also offer a number of excellent internship programs, so students can gain work experience and prepare for employment early on.

If I receive a Ph.D. degree at KUAS, is there any chance that I can become a lecturer or postdoctoral researcher at your university?

Receiving a Ph.D. degree and earning a faculty position at KUAS are not directly correlated. You may find a lecturer position based on opening available at the time of your graduation, but this cannot be guaranteed. Becoming a postdoctoral researcher may be a good experience for you prior to finding an academic position, but again, this depends on the availability of openings.


How many scholarships do you offer to international students?

While the number of scholarships offered to international students differs from year to year, all scholarships are provided to the applicants based on aptitude rather than factors such as nationality, etc. The exact number of scholarships is not disclosed to students.

What sort of test score/GPA would qualify me for KUAS scholarships?

Our scholarship program recipients will be selected by a general assessment performed by our KUAS professors, so there are no specific score requirements.

How do I apply to the KUAS-E scholarships?

Applying for KUAS-E scholarships is very simple, and only requires applicants to write a short statement on their online application.

What other scholarships are available to me besides KUAS-E scholarships?

In addition to the scholarships offered by KUAS, there are numerous other scholarships geared specifically to international students in Japan. These are offered both by various associations as well as the Japanese government. The KUAS International Office will provide students with information about these scholarships after they enrolled. For more information about external scholarships, please see our Scholarships page.